Marriage License 411

What you need to know about your Marriage License!

marriage license

We had a conversation with one of our Beautiful Brides this morning about her marriage license.  Her wedding is in February and she was asking about the whole license process.  We figured other brides probably have the same types of questions…  so hopefully this information will help our already very busy brides.

(This applies to Dane County, WI.  Of course, you will want to check with your local County Clerk’s office.)


How to Apply

The bride and groom need to apply in person and at the same time.  If one of you is a Wisconsin resident, apply in the county where one or both of you have lived for AT LEAST 30 days prior to the application date.  You may then use that license to marry in any Wisconsin county.  If you both live out of the state, you will need to apply in the county where you are holding your ceremony.

Be sure to bring CASH!  The fee is $120 and no, they do not take checks, credit or debit cards.  You must pay at the time you apply and there are no refunds.

When to Applymarriage-licensepen

Your application must be made at least 6 full calendar days before your license will be issued.  You then need to get married within the next 30 days.  An exception waiver of the waiting period may be granted for an additional fee of $25 if there are extenuating circumstances.

What to Bring

Both bride and groom must each provide:

  • The date and location of the ceremony and full name/title of your officiate.
  • Photo identification and social security number
  • In item that shows where you have lived for the past 30 days.  This is just like registering to vote in that a driver’s license, lease, utility bill or bank statement will work.
  • Dig out those birth certificates as they are also required.  It must be a CERTIFIED copy and not the one that the hospital sends home.  Make sure it is legible and in good condition.
  • If either of you were married before, you must show the judgment of divorce, legal annulment or death certificate for your most recent marriage.  It’s also required to wait six months after your divorce was granted before you can remarry.



Where to Apply

In Dane County, you’ll need to apply at the Dane County Clerk’s Office located at 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Madison.  They are open 8am to 4pm Monday – Friday.  Call ahead to be sure there aren’t any state holidays that would affect those hours.  You can reach them at (608) 266-4124.


We welcome you to share this info using one of the buttons below or leave a comment.  If we can help you in any way, please call us at 608.246.2800 or click the Request an Appointment button above.  Be Beautiful!

Be Sociable, Share!